Realize and cooperate as an important piece in a film production design is not easy but is important to know that this program is focused on the process of physical and visual creation of an atmosphere that later on becomes an essential component of film storytelling. A production designer should have a farsighted understanding of history so that he will be able to create a realistic and believable world. Specific abilities are taught in order to help students to work as art directors and production designers; this includes the collaboration with the director and cinematographer, art budget section, etc.
Students collaborate in narrative projects, their first years, while they are learning how to concrete their designs in a soundstage or location. The students of this program develop their abilities through classes, workshops and construction of the practice set. They learn traditional drafting methods as well as they use computer-aided design software.
The curriculum includes classes such as model building, drafting, color theory, budgeting, drafting, illustration and the latest digital design. These courses help students to learn how to communicate their visions to their production teams as well as to their future colleagues. In the program, students have the opportunity to meet professionals of the art department during seminars and study tours they make.
Some common activities realized in a film production design are responsibility of production designers and might include:
- Working closely with director and producer to discuss production requirements as well as director of photography, props, and sound directors.
- Realizing a design style for locations, sets, props, graphics, lighting, camera angle and costumes.
- Indicating especial visual styles, you can read scripts and get indentify factors.
- Looking for appropriate materials and producing design ideas for special effects, graphics, make-up, wigs, props and costumes.
- Planning and monitoring the design budget.
Providing scale drawings and the models for studio.