Brazil is known for its colorful culture, exotic beaches, and diverse wildlife. It’s also one of the most popular places in the world to study film. This is why we’ve compiled this list of five top-rated film schools in Brazil that will help you get a head start on your filmmaking career!
1. Universidade do Vale do Rio dos Sinos – UNISINOS: This university has been recognized by UNESCO as being among the best higher education institutions in Latin America. The school offers three undergraduate degrees: Cinema & Audiovisual Communication Arts; Cinematography; and Film Studies with an emphasis on European cinema studies.
2. Universidade de São Paulo: This university offers short and long-term courses for students at all levels that are taught by experts from the filmmaking field. They also provide support services such as accommodation, meals, transportation, and more!
3. Escola Panamericana de Filmes: This school has been around since 1972 and is one of the most reputable institutions in Brazil to study cinema. It provides master’s degree-level courses with specialization options like Publicity or Film Restoration.
4. University of Southern California (USC) – One of the oldest and most established universities for film studies in Brazil, USC has produced award-winning filmmakers such as Guillermo del Toro and Darren Aronofsky. The school offers programs at both undergraduate and graduate levels with courses like Production Design, Screenwriting, Directing, Cinematography among others.
5. PUC Rio de Janeiro – With one of the largest cinema departments in Latin America PUC offers undergraduate degrees on subjects like Visual Arts or Cinema Studies which combine theoretical knowledge with practical skills.